Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Out of Order but Moving On

Just a quick post to say that I've finished the 7th 8in08 exercise--I haven't yet done #6, but this is due to limited availability of workstations with the correct software--it'll happen soon. We explored Wiki's for this assignment. Here's what I found today:
The Uncyclopedia featured article was a very crass rumination on why the author liked the "Tango and Cash" movie.

I did visit the ALA Wiki and found some useful sites for ALSC which will be useful to me for early literacy information. A couple of the links did not work because of ALA's restructuring of their website, but most were good.
On WikiHOW I found out how to strengthen my back with Pilates, and I was very glad to learn that the moves that I do often in my Yoga class were moves that were recommended, and I can do them!!

I was not impressed with Wikia--most of the subjects I typed in had no information available. (OK, two of those subjects were Arlo and Folk Music--but nothing on Folk Music??? Really??)
The quilting Wiki had a grand total of 3 articles, and I couldn't access 2 of them. The one I found was just a sappy inspirational poem about quilts and our lives, etc. I christened this one the Icky Wiki. I may be inspired to create an account if this is all the information available on this site. There WAS a very detailed Harry Potter Wiki which was nicely designed, but given all the HP information widely available, I doubt I'd use this source for research.
That's my experience with Wiki's.

No comments: